Political Institutions in Catalonia :
- The Estatut of Autonomia is the basic institutional rule of Catalonia. It defines the rights and duties of citizens of Catalonia, the political institutions of the Catalan nationality, their skills and relationships with the state and the financing of the Government of Catalonia.
- The President of the Generalitat directs and coordinates the action of the Executive Council of the Government of Catalonia. He is elected by the Catalan Parliament.
The President today is Quim Torra. He became president on 15 May 2018 for the first time.
- The executive Council has executive and administrative functions; The counselors are responsible for various departments (15 currently). Each department has its general secretariat and organizes itself in general directions. Exceptionally, the government can name commissions to which it assigns specific tasks.
- Parliament : representative of the Catalonian people, it legislates, approves the budget of the Generalitat, controls the action of the government and elects the President of the Generalitat.
- Official languages : Catalan and Spanish.