From Barcelona Airport to city centre
How do I get from Barcelona airport to downtown Barcelona?
Josep Tarradellas Barcelona-El Prat airport is very well connected to the city centre of Barcelona by any means of transport. Barcelona airport code is BCN. Located only a dozen kilometres from the city, most "airport to city" transfers take about 40 minutes, including waiting time. This makes it one of the most convenient airports in the country. Note, however, that there are two terminals, T1 and T2, and that the departure points - for the same means of transport - are not the same from one terminal to another. On this page, you will find the various means of transport and their departure points from Terminal T1 as well as from Terminal T2. Check the page Aerobus airport transfers for tickets.
1 - TRANSFER BY AEROBUS – THE OFFICIAL SHUTTLE BUS
How to get from Barcelona airport to Barcelona by Aerobus?
The Aerobus is a fast (35 minutes) and economical (8.90€) shuttle bus that connects Barcelona - El Prat airport (Terminals 1 and 2) with the city centre of Barcelona (Place de Catalunya). The route includes 3 stops at the strategic points of Barcelona: Pl Espanya, Gran Via-Urgell, Pl Universitat. The Aerobus operates all year round without exception with a departure every 5 minutes.
You just need to know:
- there are two Aerobus A1 and A2. The first one at the start of Terminal 1 and the second one at the start of Terminal 2. A distinction to remember especially for your return because only this N° (A1 or A2) distinguishes the two shuttles in the return direction.
- that the stops are not the same on the outward and return routes, as shown in this map :
Aerobus A1: transfer Terminal 1 Airport to Barcelona city centrer
Travel time: 35 minutes.
Price: 8.90 euros, one way and 13.20 euros return.
Route : Airport T1- Plaça Espanya, Gran Via-Urgell, Plaça de l' Universitat - Plaça Catalunya (terminus).
Timetable: from terminal T1:5:35 am to 1:05 am -For return from Plaça Catalunya, from 5:00 am to 12:30 am
Frequency: One shuttle every 10 minutes from T1 airport.Return from 05:00 to 06:40 every 10 min/ From 06:50 to 21:45 every 5 min/ From 21:50 to 00:30 every 10 min
Aerobus A2: transfer from Terminal 2 Airport to Barcelona city centre
Travel time: 35 minutes.
Price: 8.90 euros, one way and 13.20 euros return.
Route : Airport T2- Plaça Espanya, Gran Via-Urgell, Plaça de l' Universitat - Plaça Catalunya (terminus).
Timetable: from terminal T2: from 5:35 am to 1:00 am - For the return from Plaça Catalunya, from 5:00 am to 12:30 am
Frequency: A shuttle bus every 10 minutes from airport T2 for the return trip.
How do I buy my ticket for the Aerobus shuttle?
You can buy your Aerobus ticket on the spot at ATMs located in Terminal T1 as T2, but you risk wasting time in case of heavy traffic. You can also buy your ticket aboard the Aerobus, but in this case, you must top up. The driver does not give change on a ticket over 20€.
You can finally buy your Aerobus ticket online, this is by far what we recommend. They're the same price. You can also buy your round-trip ticket online, knowing that the return ticket is valid two weeks after the validation - on-site - of the one-way ticket. Children under 4 years old travel free of charge.
Buy here the Aerobus ticket for Airport Transfer from Barcelona El Prat to Barcelona City Centre
Video on the different ways to buy your Aerobus ticket and sales points:
Where are the aerobus stops at Barcelona airport?
The Aerobus stop at Terminal T1 is one floor lower than the arrivals hall. To get there, you have to walk to the bottom of the arrivals terminal, turn left towards a ramp that goes down and arrive directly in front of the stop; the Aerobus stop of the T2 terminal is located on the left as you leave the arrivals hall. If you are at the T2c terminal, go to T2a and T2b terminals to find the stop. video: Where to find the Aerobus shuttle bus at the exit of the T1 terminal.
Video: Where to find the Aerobus shuttle bus at the exit of the T1 terminal
Video: Where to find the Aerobus shuttle bus at the exit of the T2 terminal
2- TRANSFER BY TRAIN FROM TERMINAL 2 OF THE AIRPORT
How to get from Barcelona airport to the centre of Barcelona by train?
The train is very practical because it serves not only the centre of Barcelona but also most cities in Catalonia! It's also the cheapest way to get to Barcelona (5,15€ per ticket).
You just need to know:
- that the train only departs from the T2 terminal
- that if you arrive via Terminal T1 you will have to take the free shuttle bus which connects the two terminals: it is a green bus easily recognizable.
- that Renfe is the name of the Spanish national railway company. This indication must therefore be sought in Terminal T2.
- that the train makes stops at only two stations in the centre of Barcelona: Estació Sants and Passeig de Gràcia.
- That the line serving the city centre is called R2 North line
Transfer from the airport to the city centre The train station is 3 minute's walk from Terminal 2, just follow the directions: Renfe
Travel time: 30 minutes from the T2 to the centre of Barcelona on average
Fare: from the single journey 2 euros.Itinerary: Terminal 2- Prat de LLobregat- Bellvitge- Estació de Sants- Passeig de Gràcia- Barcelona El Clot AragóHoraires: from 5h42 to 23h28
Frequency: About every 30 mn. In the opposite direction, the first train passes at Passeig de Gràcia at 5h08 and the last one at 23h07. The train arrives 5 minutes later at Estació Sants.
Useful link: Renfe schedules for trains departing from Barcelona airport.
How to buy your train ticket to Barcelona?
In the Renfe station, you will find vending machines and ticket offices to buy your train ticket.
Practical: You can also buy the public transport card Hola BCN! including the airport/centre of Barcelona. It will then serve you for all your journeys in the city.
Buy your Hola Barcelona Public Transport Card.A 48, 72, 96, or 120-hour ticket for Barcelona's public transport network
Renfe Train transport map from the airport to Barcelona :
3 - TRANSFER IN METRO (LINE 9)
How to get from Barcelona airport to the centre of Barcelona by metro?
Barcelona Airport's two T1 and T2 terminals are connected to the Barcelona metro network, which is very convenient for travellers.
You just need to know:
- Line 9 (L9) does not go directly downtown. For example, it is necessary to change Torrassa to take the red line linking Universitat or Catalonia square. Change Collblanc to take the blue line towards Provença, Diagonal or Sagrada Familia.
- That the two metro stations are located at the exit of each T1 and T2 terminal and are well-indicated.
Travel time: about 30 minutes,
Frequency: Every 30 minutes
How to buy your metro ticket for Barcelona?
In the metro station, you will find vending machines and ATMs to buy your metro ticket, or you can buy online the Hola BCN public transport card which will then serve you for all your journeys in the city.
Buy your Hola Barcelona Public Transport Card. A 48, 72, 96, or 120-hour ticket for Barcelona's public transport network
Barcelona network map:
4 - CITY BUS TRANSFER (LINE Nº46)
How do I get from Barcelona airport to the centre of Barcelona by city bus?
You can reach Plaça Espanya by bus 46, which runs from the two terminals T1 and T2. It is a very economical option to reach the centre of Barcelona from the airport.
You just need to know:
- Bus stop 46 is located at the exit of terminal T1 to the left of the Aerobus stop.
- That there are two bus stops 46 at terminal T2. They are located at the exit of terminals T2b and T2c
- That it is the company TMB -Transport Metropolitans de Barcelona - that manages the buses in Barcelona. So that's the name to look for to find your stop.
Duration of the journey: about 30 minutes from T1,35 minutes from T2
Fare: one-way ticket at 4.60 euros. Itinerary: From Terminal 1 or Terminal 2 to Plaça Espanya
Timetable: From 5 a. m. to 12.30 a. m.
Frequency: Every 20 minutes you can buy tickets on the bus or buy the public transport card Hola BCN! which will then serve you for all your journeys in the city.
Buy your Hola Barcelona Public Transport Card A 48, 72, 96, or 120-hour ticket for Barcelona's public transport network
5- BARCELONA AIRPORT TO CITY CENTRE IN NIGHT BUS (LINES N16, N17 ET N18)
How to reach the centre of Barcelona from Barcelona airport by night bus?
If you arrive at night in Barcelona, the night bus is in fact the only way to reach the city centre by public transport. It is also a more economical solution than taxis or private transfers. You just need to know:
- That the bus N17 makes the T1 terminal airport journey to the city centre
- That the bus N16 makes the terminal T2 airport journey to the city centre.
- That the bus N18 makes the T1 and T2 terminal airport journey to the city centre - it is a backup bus in case of heavy traffic.
Travel time: approx. 30-40 mn to Plaça Catalunya
Fares: one-way ticket at 5.15 euros
Itinerary: Plaça Espanya and Plaça CatalunyaTimetables: From 21h55 to 4h45 in the morning
Frequency: Every 20 mn
Where is the night bus stop at Barcelona airport?
The N16 bus stops are located at the exit of terminals T2a, T2b and T2c. The N17 bus stop is located at the exit of terminal T1 on the left at the flight exit. The N16 bus stops are located at the exit of terminals T1, T2a, T2b and T2c.
6. TRANSFER FROM AIRPORT TO BARCELONA CENTRE BY TAXI
Taking a taxi to Barcelona from the airport is the simplest and fastest solution. It is not excessively expensive if you are at least two people or in a family. It is in any case one of the most pleasant to go from door to door. The taxi point is very well indicated at the exit of the two terminals T1 and T2. There are a lot of taxis there and the queue is very well organized, as is often the case in Barcelona. You just need to know:
- The taxis are recognizable because they are bicoloured (black and yellow)
- That there is no fixed price to go from the airport to the centre of Barcelona as there may be in some countries.
- That the minimum fare for taxi service from the airport is 20€ (including all additional charges such as airport entry and exit fees of 3.10€). This means that your trip will cost you at least 20€ even if you go to an address near the airport.
- That the night rate starts at 8:00 PM and ends at 8:00 AM.
Duration of a taxi ride to the city centre: 20 to 25 minutesRates: approximately 30-35 euros depending on the terminal of departure.
Where are the taxi stops at the airport?
The taxi stands are immediately at the exit of the flights for both terminal T1 and terminal T2.
Take advantage of this combo ticket: Airport taxi service + Hola transport card
Private transfer + Unlimited transport:
> Driver picks you up at BCN airport
> Transfer to the place of your stay
> Unlimited transport card for 3 days: metro, bus, train, etc.
Buy here your combined ticket: Airport taxi service + Hola travel card
7- TRANSFER BY PRIVATE OR SHARED CAR
How do I book a private car to get from the airport to downtown Barcelona?
The private or shared car with a driver is an excellent solution to avoid wasting time on arrival at Barcelona airport. It's an even more economical solution than you might think if you're in a group or if the car is shared. Like with a taxi they take you to your address in town. It's very reassuring to know we're expected.
The advantages of private transport:
- The driver is waiting for you in his car, even if your plane is late.
- The race is already settled, and no discussion is possible.
- The transfer can be shared with other travellers, as fully private or in the "Transfer of Luxury" version.
- We'll drop you off at your hotel in Barcelona.
- Cancellation is possible up to 24 hours before the trip.
- Private or shared transfers are also possible to go to the Port of Barcelona if you have to join a cruise.
Rates for a private car with driver: from 40€ per group
Rates for a shared car with driver: from 24,18€
Travel time: about 35 minutes
Where: Book your private transfer on this page
New for 2022 >> Barcelona Transport Pass = Airport transfer + Hola Transport Card + Audio guide
The perfect combination for your transport! Forget about transport problems with this package:
- Aerobus tickets (one-way or round-trip airport transfer to the city centre)
- Hola Barcelona public transport card valid for 48, 72, 96 or 120 hours on the following public transport networks: metro, bus (TMB), urban trains (FGC, Zone 1), Montjuïc funicular, tram (TRAM), regional trains (Rodalies de Catalunya, Zone 1)
- Audioguide Barcelona: an audio guide application with more than 100 points of interest in the city. A downloadable application on your phone, easy to use.
Buy your Barcelona Transport Pass here
Where is the meeting point with your private driver?
- At Terminal T 1, your driver will be waiting for you with a sign in your name, in the arrivals hall (right-hand side) next to the FC Barcelona shop.
- At Terminal T2, your driver will wait for you with a sign in your name, in the arrival hall Terminal 2B, in front of the statue of the Black Horse.
You may also be interested:
- Your plane leaves Barcelona airport very early? Travelers in transit? Here are some tips and information to easily book your hotel at Barcelona Airport Hotels!
- All transfers including the Aerobus shuttle bus to the centre of Barcelona or back to Barcelona airport from the city centre.
- Barcelona airport arrivals and departures
- Barcelona airport covid test
- Barcelona airport parking
- Car Hire Barcelona airport
- Barcelona Girona Airport
- Barcelona Reus Airport
@Martial - Anna (3 Nov 2022 - 09:06)
We tried the aerobus from Barcelona airport to the city centre. It was a fast, comfortable and cost-effective transfer. Take the round trip so there's no stress on the way back... count on an extra half hour if you just miss the bus from the centre on the way back.
bus from barcelona airport to city - Martial (2 Nov 2022 - 12:06)
best bus to go from Barcelona airport to city?
any user advice?
Travel in barcelona - Tracy (11 Feb 2021 - 09:04)
An exceptionally, easy to follow page.
transfers - Anthony Travis (29 Jan 2020 - 09:58)
What a great site with all the information and options you could need. Well done whoever wrote this up!!
Really good information - Fred (18 Aug 2018 - 13:54)
This is one of the most informative airport transfer information pages I have ever read. Will now take time deciding which option to chose. Thank you.